Vice President of Development & Donor Relations
The Vice President of Development and Donor Relations plays a critical role in increasing the positive impact of the Santa Fe Community Foundation (SFCF) across northern New Mexico. This position is responsible for managing all aspects of the Foundation’s day-to-day financial resource development and donor stewardship to support the growth of SFCF’s endowment and long-term grantmaking aspirations. As department head, the VP will provide leadership, strategic direction, and oversight for the Development & Donor Relations team, ensuring all department staff have clearly defined goals to advance SFCF’s strategic objectives and implement high-impact fundraising strategies. This position is a member of the Santa Fe Community Foundation’s Executive Team. The VP works closely with the President & CEO and stewardship committees, and provides a high-level of internal and external leadership on behalf of the Foundation.
Work closely with the President & CEO and in alignment with the Foundation’s strategic plan to:
- Lead the creation and implementation of a comprehensive development program inclusive of but not limited to a strategy that identifies, cultivates, and secures new donors.
- Ensure the facilitation of all gifts from donors.
- Advance a comprehensive planned giving program that fosters SFCF’s business development relations with financial advisors, institutions, and trust companies.
- Formulate and execute plans to increase community philanthropic partnerships.
- Create and oversee development-focused events.
- A thorough understanding of all products, services, workplans, and metrics of the department and SFCF is required.
Oversee functional areas and provide leadership in local and national associations/organizations.
- Maintain a high-level public presence for the Foundation through presentations, public speaking, writing, and attendance at philanthropic functions that further the strategic development and stewardship objectives of SFCF.
As a member of the Executive Team, foster and promote interdepartmental collaboration that capitalizes on diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to accomplish foundation goals.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the organization’s mission, policies, strategies, and operations.
- Identify, consider, and lead opportunities for internal integration of work across functions and departments to make connections and leverage the strengths and efforts of SFCF.
Department Oversight and Management
As department head, build, develop, and manage a team capable of carrying out needed strategies.
- Create budgets and timelines for projects and manage workflow internal to the department.
- Prepare and review staff work assignments and evaluate individual and department performance.
- Ensure department staff have clearly defined and communicated goals designed to advance and support SFCF’s strategic objectives
- Maintain active involvement in professional development of staff, using SFCF resources and training.
- Coach and mentor staff in the areas of problem solving, understanding SFCF’s philanthropic priorities, and developing strategies and goals for development and donor relations.
Work closely with the President & CEO, participate in board and committee meetings as appropriate, and cooperatively staff the stewardship committees.
As appropriate, assist other departments and work as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure the effective and efficient operations of SFCF.
- At all times, demonstrate cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers.
- Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations are available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- 10-15 years related experience, preferably in development, major gifts, financial services, trust management, private banking, legal, or nonprofit setting of comparable complexity is required. Related legal experience in estate planning is a plus.
- Certified Specialist in Planned Giving is a major plus.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the practice and management of client acquisition and experience with and responsibility for wealth management and philanthropic products.
- Practical experience in philanthropy with demonstrated success in fund development and cultivation and planned giving.
- A strong knowledge of local communities, issues, and organizations.
- Knowledge of the full range of deferred giving vehicles and the tax laws as they relate to New Mexico charitable giving is a plus.
Values & Principles
- Serve as an ambassador of the Santa Fe Community Foundation and its mission, vision, and guiding values of equity, perseverance, listening, and generosity.
- Strive to reach and exceed established professional goals.
- Abide by SFCF’s policies and procedures, and act with candor, transparency, clear communication, and the highest ethical standards.
- Serve as a team player and work collaboratively with all SFCF employees.
- Understand and proactively seek opportunities for internal integration of work across functions and departments to make connections and leverage the strengths and efforts of SFCF in order to maximize its impact.
- Uphold the highest standards of customer service for all SFCF constituents in terms of speed of response, accuracy, and completeness.
Please see PDF job description for complete list of desired skills and experience.
Why work for us
About the Santa Fe Community Foundation
The Santa Fe Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion. We actively seek and encourage applications from minorities, women, and people with disabilities
How to apply
Ready to join our team?
We are looking for people who want to use their abilities to make a lasting difference. If that is you and you have an aligning background, then please send a cover letter explaining your interest in the Vice President, Development and Donor Relations position and what you would bring to the Santa Fe Community Foundation. No calls please.